Great gifts and everyday essentials for pets

Monday

Solo trips aren't half bad, even if they double distances

 

My two dogs are well-versed in teamwork. 

Their favorite activity in all the world is to hitch up to a pair of leashes, which are tied together by the top loops and attached by a carabiner to my own belt, and step outside for a few miles on the trails. Sure, they love eating and sleeping and barking and all that. But running together tops it all.

The Border Collie always takes the inside position, so she can herd the Labrador Retriever to the left. That keeps both dogs on the shoulder of the road (or the edge of the trail), out of oncoming traffic.

 “Team up,” I say, and they both fall into position.

  Not long ago, however, I pulled a muscle in my back. That means hitching 100+ collective pounds of high-energy canines is off the table for a while.


 Sometimes it pays to improvise.

 That means hitching up one dog at a time, holding the leash in one hand, and playing tag-team for the trails. Each dog gets one trip. I get two. 

But we all get out --  even if each dog feels a little left out while the other takes her turn.



 

Image/s:  Personal photos – all rights reserved.

 

Feel free to follow on Twitter, and find Features’ Pets on Facebook.. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).


No comments:

Post a Comment