Great gifts and everyday essentials for pets

Friday

Are elk antlers safe as dog chew toys?



OK, I admit it. My nine-month-old Labrador mix pup is a pretty assertive chewer.  She’s gone through more chew toys than I can count.

That’s why I followed a friend’s recommendation and popped for a medium-sized $9 all-natural elk antler piece for her to chew. The friend pointed out that her own dog had enjoyed a single elk antler for more than six months.

She loved it. In fact, she wouldn’t leave the elk antler chew alone. It kept her busy, happily gnawing away, for longer than any toy she has ever tried.

However, within a day, this is what her all-natural elk antler looked like.

Not exactly a bargain to sink one’s teeth into.

After a day of chewing, my dog’s elk antler piece looks as dangerous as a turkey bone, having broken into multiple extra-sharp pieces. I had to take it away from her and toss it in the trash, for her safety’s sake.

Maybe all-natural elk antlers are safer for older dogs, who are not teething and don’t tend to chew so assertively. Perhaps the bigger elk antlers are worth the extra money, if they don’t break apart so easily. Still, I have to wonder.
But I guess I won’t be dropping any more bucks for elk antlers anytime soon.

Image/s:
Adapted from Elk Antler
product promo photo
  fair use
Additional photo by
LAN for Fad to the Bone

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter.  You are invited to subscribe for free to my General Pets Examiner column, so you will receive email notifications whenever new articles appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment