Great gifts and everyday essentials for pets

Friday

Oops! Dentastix cleaned out my dog's teeth - and GI tract



I might have a bone to pick with this canine snack. Dentastix, marketed as a healthy dog treat that cleans dogs’ teeth, gave my pup an added bonus. Actually, it gave my backyard a few extra bonuses as well.

Dentastix are X-shaped solid dog bone treats. According to the manufacturer’s statements on the product packaging and online advertisements, Dentastix can cut up to 80% of regular tartar build-up in a dog’s mouth, if regularly used. Tartar is a known contributor to gum disease.

My dog went wild for a Dentastix treat. She finished it in nothing flat. Then she had to go outside – again and again and again.

I gave the $8 package of Dentastix away to a friend with a dog who eats anything with impunity.

Granted, my pup is on a dog-food-only diet. 

She receives no table scraps, and she eats a high-quality organic dry dog food. She enjoys an occasional small Milk Bone as well.

So her gut has not been exposed to all sorts of potential stimuli from unusual foods.

I examined the ingredient list for Dentastix, and I’m not sure what set her off. The roster includes (quoting verbatim): 

Rice Flour, Wheat Starch, Glycerin, Gelatin, Gum Arabic, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Poultry Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C], Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1]), Potassium Sorbate (A Preservative), Smoke Flavor, Zinc Sulfate, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Iron Oxide, Copper Sulfate.


NOTE: This blogger has no affiliation with the manufacturer or marketers of this product and received no remuneration or reward for this post.

For whatever reason, I’m pretty sure we’re gonna stick to Milk Bones, brushing, and annual veterinary dental cleanings. My backyard gets enough fertilizer as it is, and my puppy would rather be regular. Just ask her.

Image/s:
Product promotional photo –
Fair use

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter.  You are invited to subscribe for free to my General Pets Examiner column, so you will receive email notifications whenever new articles appear.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating information I haven’t been experienced such information in quite a long time. My 7 month old, 90 lbs Bullmastiff puppy loves to eat these chicken rawhide bones. She can eat an entire eight inch bone in about one hour. How often should we allow her to eat these? We have been giving her them every few days… Thanks!

    ReplyDelete